Thursday, June 4, 2015

Car Restoration: Misunderestimation

So, a week ago, I posted that I would have some new content in a week or two. Based on my progress, it will probably still be another week or two before I have content. I could write up a set of smaller posts but I'll probably hold back a bit. The delay in my content is a small part typical life delays, but, for the most part, it is due to waiting for shipping. A large part of the amateur car restoration "business" is waiting. You don't know exactly what you need so you start something, find that you are missing something, then order that something and wait for it to show up.

As a small reveal, what I am working on is recasting my steering wheel in new plastic. The basic process is as follows: 1. Get a good steering wheel; 2. Make a 2-part silicone mold of the good wheel; 3. Clean any old plastic and rust off the old wheel; 3. Cast new 2-part color-matched urethane; 4. Clean up the flashing, fill voids and buff/polish.

So far, I've done step 1. I ordered the material for making the mold and casting. I only ordered just enough silicone for the mold, based on the site's estimator because silicone is expensive. I only ordered half as much urethane because I figured I would make a few small samples and trial runs and then order exactly how much I would need once I built confidence that the results would be good. Well, turns out that the estimator for how much silicone I would need was way, way off. I mixed up about half the silicone and poured it, only to find that I needed to mix up almost the rest of what I had ordered to finish the first half of the mold. So, I ordered another batch so I can pour the other half of the mold. Since I didn't want to have to wait again, I also ordered more urethane, which will hopefully be enough to pour the whole shebang. Otherwise, there will be more waiting.

So, my plan is to pour the other half of the mold this weekend and then try a test piece to see if I can get a good color match by eye. If that works, I'll mix up a whole batch of urethane and pour it and see what happens. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment